Greyhawk Destinies


From the journal of Stormaggedon, Dark Lord of All; Dwarven Knight of the Grey Order

We have heard of a rise of an evil temple. Not much is known yet, but it has alarmed some of the more senior members of my order. I have been dispatched to Dyvers to bring warning of this temple and see if they have any more information.

As I reach a town near the edge of the Gnarley Forest, I encounter a group of humans and half-elves looking to travel through the forest rather than go around it. It should save me several days off my journey. Here’s to hoping for more excitement than the first leg of my journey.

Barely a quarter of the way into the forest and we are ambushed by a large band of goblins. They came out of nowhere. It was a fierce battle but we fell taking many of the goblins with us. Their stupid leader kept pulling his followers in front of him to take the blows meant for him.
My wounds take me out of consciousness for a bit and the next thing I know some bloody human appears out of nowhere and starts attacking the goblins with his fists. A half-elf Warpriest also shows up and starts smashing the goblins with her mace. We finish off the remaining goblins with some ease. I get my axe back from that stupid goblin shaman type.

Evidently the human monk (Cricket; and who flaming names their child Cricket???) and the half-elf warpriest (Phoenix) are trying to find a good path through the Gnarley Forest. Some rich merchant wants a shorter path through the forest to get better profits. The weird thing is, they are traveling with Orcs!!!. Bloody, flaming, good orcs if you can believe it. Still, I suppose they did save my life. I guess I owe them the courtesy of not calling them flipping insane.

The remaining trip to the edge of the forest is pretty uneventful. There were some ambush spiders and rescuing some halflings from being spider food, but that was pretty much it. Hardly worth mentioning. No the weird part comes in when we reached the orc village. We got there and the orcs didn’t attack. They outnumbered us 50 to 3 and they didn’t bloody attack us. Orcs aren’t the bravest lot out there, but I’ve never seen them refuse to fight with such good odds. Maybe they weren’t flaming evil after all.

After putting up with the entire orc tribe traveling with us for a couple days, we finally got to see some more action. We got attacked by some orcs. Not some goody two-shoes, smiles and happy orcs, but normal blood thirsty orcs that look far better with my axe in their head. I got to hand it to the monk though. That took a lot of courage to go charging into the midst of the orcs by himself, leaving the healer and myself behind. Bloody good healer too, keeping the monk alive. Good fighters all.

The rest of the trip to Dyvers was uneventful. We made a decent amount of gold off of the paths found and maps secured. The Grey Order in Dyvers seemed to appreciate the warning about the temple of evil, but didn’t have anything to add at this time. They did have some contracts though to explore some ruins in the Gnarley Forest and also to learn more about the new orc tribe that we fought in the forest. Cricket seemed interested in both smashing orcs and exploring ruins and Phoenix was interested in exploring the ruins and so it seems we will travel together for a while longer.


Time was spent finding certain individuals with the ability to disarm and open the trapped scroll case. After having a standoff with thugs from the local thieves guild 401 we located a person whom could open the device.

Shortly after, we traveled back to the tower to complete clearing it out of monstrous inhabitants. Along the road we came across a band of adventurers whom were all dispatched by a group of goblins, except for one unfortunate half elf.

We proceeded to relieve the goblins of their lives and assisted the half elf. He informed the group that they were looking for a path through the woods from Dyvers to the nearby river so trade would be streamlined. The group took up the adventurers cause for their payment and were off to complete the tower.

Once in the tower a lair of phase spiders was found, along with an undead in a room on his own. He had a magical javelin +1.

Other odds and ends were found and distributed to the group.

Afterwards we traveled to Dyvers, passing through a small town/defensive structure, where a half-orc tried to purchase our loyalties in providing him the information on the path that we find. The group declined the offer.

We then went trailblazing through the woods. We were attacked by a group of Kobalds. We also located an Orc in the area who was non-violent. In fact his whole tribe was non-violent. They were farmers who simply wanted to ply their trade in relative safety, but were in the forest because of the view of their race as a whole.

The party promised to bring their cause to light in the area if the Orcs would show them the fastest path to the river.

-I don’t have my notes with me, I’ll update this with more specifics when I have them. -Justin

Log - Unlikely Beginnings

Setting – Free City of Greyhawk
Date – CY 576 (Coldeven 5th – 7th)

Wealthy benefactor

Davian Hawklight, a well-to-do merchant of Greyhawk, offered Cricket fifty gold orbs to explore a nearby property that he had acquired. Davian indicated that there may be some humanoids or other riff-raff that has moved into the area. The land is largely unoccupied other than an old watchtower known simply as Hightower.

The unlikely heroes

Cricket posted an advertisement seeking adventurers or fellow explorers that would be interested in a mission exploring some nearby ruins. There were only four individuals (the party members) that met him outside the sheriff’s office to inquire about the job.

The two unlikely heroes, Beast and Magneto, were interested in earnign a little coin to further their own adventures. This seemed like as good an opportunity as any to help them to that end.

The other two were a pair of elves, or more accurately an elf and a half-elf. Both seemed somewhat aloof and not entirely concerned about the overall welfare of the group beyond the potential for furthering their own ends as well.

Gloomy ride in the country

The lands around Greyhawk are fairly well patrolled and the likelyhood of chance encounters with monsters or bandits is generally quite low. The only real menace facing the party at this time was the cold rain and chill in the air. The trip took almost a full day by foot and did litte to endear the group members to each other. Upon arriving at Hightower, the party was faced with the prospect of rushing in or facing the hail storm that had just begun.

Nowhere to go but down

As the party was investigating the inside of the only thing of interest was an opening in the floor above and a large stone table that was toppled over in the middle of the floor. As they prepared to make their way up to the second floor, Professor X noticed a large hold under the stone table. After a brief investigation the party decided to descend into the pit. Cricket was the first to make his way down the rope. As he reached the halfway point, havoc erupted in the chamber above when five giant rats burst through the front door and engaged the party. In his excitement, Cricket lost hold of the rope and plummeted the remaining fifteen feet. At the bottom of the shaft he found himself inside of a 20′ × 20′ cage with two hobgoblins snarling back at him. His allies in the room above were able to dispatch the rats in short order and descend into the pit.

No whine in the cellar

The hobgoblins threw a switch that raised the cage bars and allowed them to fully engage the party. Dispite some less than desirable athletics checks everyone survived the descent into the room. Once all of the heroes made it to the bottom and were able to spread out a bit, the hobgoblins went down with relative ease.

A bit of a rivalry appeared to be brewing between Cricket and Professor X at this point. Something about “always needing to be healed”. Cricket took it in stride and headed down the next passage with little care.

Bad dreams

The party made their way down a couple more passages and through a large chamber to find themselves in a room that appeared to be undisturbed for quite some. A stone chest was the only remarkable feature in the entire room. There was a thin layer of dust covering everything. Cricket blew most of it off and then Storm cast mage hand to clear off the rest of it. Professor X made is way up to the chest he was struck by the tentacles of a mimic and combat was once again underway. After a brief battle the group seemed to be gaining the upper hand when Professor X was again dealt damage by the mimic. The blow didn’t just knock him unconcious, it was actually a death blow. Before the protests were finished though, they realized that the encounter was nothing more than a hallucination. The party woke up to four goblins entering the chamber with manacles to subdue them. The goblins were not match for them though.

A crack in the alliance?

Bfore making their way to the next chamber, Magneto and Professor X had a disagreement about what creatures Magneto would be summoning. Magneto let slip that one of his minions was a demon. This is a dispute that will probably go on for some time as it goes against Professor X’s core beliefs as a follower of Pelor.

First encounter with the unliving

The final encounter for the night concluded with four skeletons. After a pitched battle the party overcame. The group decided that they had taken more time than they thought they would in clearing out the tower so they decided to make their way back to Greyhawk to renegotiate terms with Davian.


2 suits of plate mail
1 heavy shield
1 mace
3 javelins
1 spiked chain
4 short swords
4 leather armor
4 manacles
8 gold orbs
20 silver nobles
15 copper commons

Belt of Vigor (LVL 1 ) – claimed by Cricket
Bone scroll case with a magical trap – Unopened and unidentified


I'm sorry, but we no longer support this web browser. Please upgrade your browser or install Chrome or Firefox to enjoy the full functionality of this site.